Circle Craft members include both emerging and established craftspeople whose unique works encompass the traditional and the contemporary and demonstrate excellence in design and craftsmanship. Any British Columbia resident whose work has been accepted by the Circle Craft Selection jury may become a member. Members must purchase five shares at $5.00 each for a total of $25.00, redeemable when the member leaves the Co-op, and pay an annual fee of $63 ($60 + GST) due each January 1st. (Note: each member is a single voting entity regardless of the number of shares owned.)
Selections occur twice a year; the cut off dates for applications are December 31st and May 31st.
The Selections Committee considers submissions from British Columbian craftspeople who are interested in marketing their work through Circle Craft Co-operative on Granville Island. The Committee is comprised of Circle Craft Board members, Circle Craft Co-op Members, and individuals from the community who have an interest or professional association with craft, and it is advised by the co-op manager. The submission process is divided into 2 stages: Selections Stage 1 and Selections Stage 2.
The Selections Committee bases its decisions on the following criteria:
- excellence of design and fabrication
- uniqueness and/or originality of concept and design
- is the work a duplication of what is being produced by the existing membership
- does the work fall within the guidelines noted below on non-acceptable work
Selections Stage 1
Submissions to the Selections Committee should include the following:
- 6+ digital images of the artist’s work in jpeg format – these images should be of a quality that best represents the work to be sold at Circle Craft
- the craftsperson’s CV and photograph
- an artist statement
- specific information about the work concerning materials and process
- suggested retail prices for all images submitted
- full contact information, including phone number, current mailing address and email address
No critiques are given.
Selections Stage 1 material may be submitted throughout the year for the next jury session.
There is no cost to submit.
Selections Stage 2
If an individual’s work from Selections Stage 1 is considered to be appropriate and of interest, the Selections Committee will then invite the craftsperson to submit actual samples of the work for further deliberation before a final decision is made. At this time, the established, non-refundable Selections Fee of $26.25 ($25 + GST) will apply. No critiques are given.
PLEASE NOTE: At the present time, Circle Craft does not accept the following:
- greeting cards
- hobby crafts
- flower arrangements or potpourri
- decorated stones, sea shells or other found objects
- transfers, decals, decoupage
- liquid embroidery
- work made from kits, commercial patterns (as from pattern books or magazines)
- or from assembled bought and found objects
- work made with a commercial product as the focal point
- work made with commercial moulds
- prints, paintings, graphics
- food or cosmetic products